Sprint – 6

This was our last sprint for the semester and surprisingly enough there was a lot of work accomplished during this sprint. In the previous sprint we managed to all get on the same page with our component (functionality/styling), our goal for this sprint was to try to finish the form component and start a new one. We got as far as merging our branch with the master branch and pulling all of the commits from the other groups.

Our component consisted of multiple input fields, a back button, and a newly created submit button that triggered an event calling another component to load on screen. After merging our branch with the master and pulling all of the code in the project we were greeted with many errors; for what reasons we are not too sure. We tackled the conflicting errors one by one, first by removing some imports/adding some dependencies. Secondly we had to comment out all of the other components that were called on in the app.component to focus on ours since we wanted to move forward with creating a later stage of our component.

A more advanced stage of our component was a cross between the tabs component and our form component. We added some code to create multiple tabs while having the same form fields and it successfully worked. Overall this was a very successful sprint.

Sprint – 5

This was one of our most successful sprints yet. We are definitely on the right track to completing this first component and moving forward with our next. Towards the beginning of this sprint some of the issues we encountered were similar to the previous sprint. We had to remove/re-install our angular material dev-kit multiple times to get it working. I recall Matt and I having to delete and reinstall a few times for whatever reason to get it working and to be more organized. To be more organized we created an initial branch called “Questionnaire-Form” but then we ended up trashing that branch to create another called “Q-Form” which became our main branch that we worked on.

The component that we were supposed to build is a simple form. We worked our code around an angular material component taken right off of the angular documentations. Again there was a styling issue with our component. The HTML was working correctly but it was not looking the way it was supposed to. I tried using a different angular built-in material and imported all of the necessities. It worked perfectly. We then figured out that it was an import statement that we were missing somewhere. This fixed the issue and we were able to create the component correctly. We hope to finish this component by the end of next sprint as well as a few more components.

Onto the last sprint!

Sprint – 4

During this sprint there was a lot of confusion on how we should move forward with certain things. In the last sprint we were able to determine which components each team was going to be working with but we have yet to set up our branches on GitHub. We sat down as a class to recreate the whole Git system/directories/branches. We decided to pull fork the original, clone it, and moving forward we would add any changes we make to our code to our forked repo and create an upstream to the original to be able to merge as a class.

There were some problems we encountered; the biggest was not being able to correctly style our component given the angular material code. We hope to be able to solve this issue by the end of the next sprint. Other than this, we had some minor issues when actually running ng serve but we later found out that some of our angular versions were not up to date. A simple update fixed this.

That was pretty much all for this sprint. Our goal for the next sprint is to finish our component!

Sprint-3

In this last sprint my team and I ran into a few complications. We were trying to figure out how to go about creating these components that we are supposed. The class as a whole decided the best route to take was to break the amrs app down even more on GitHub so that each group would have their own component and there would be a ‘master’ branch so in the end we could push and merge everything onto that.

Some difficulties we had to work around included having to know what the layout would utilized because everything was sent over Zeplin but created off another platform (maybe adobe). We definitely are on the right path moving forward for the next sprint.

Find Mentors

I feel as though this apprenticeship pattern will apply to most of us who is nearing their graduation date. Most of us only have classroom experience when it comes to developing and soon we will be part of something bigger than just us. We will be joining an organization that has big ambitions and aspiration to see those goals to the end. What should we expect? How do we learn to work through our problems? How do we learn at all?

The author suggests seeking out someone who has been in this position before and strive to learn from them. Eventually someone will accept you as an apprentice and you would remain under their supervision throughout the apprenticeship while working towards becoming a master craftsman. Now this ‘master craftsman’ who will accept you as their apprentice does not have to physically be available. It could be someone in an online community; anyone in the field that knows more than you do. The way to do this may be to pick a community that is active and learn from the individuals there.

I actually like this pattern because I feel as though all of us need a mentor when we are in the field to help us progress through our development. I hope to apply this to myself and learn as much as possible.